Formula DRIFT Round 3: Miami Heat Results;
Vaughn Gittin Takes His Second Consecutive Event Victory
Long Beach, Calif. – May 31, 2014 – Formula DRIFT entered Homestead-Miami Speedway for the first time for Round 3: Miami Heat. Vaughn Gittin, Jr. in the Monster Energy / Nitto Tire Ford Mustang RTR takes his second consecutive victory.
Round 3: Miami Heat entered Homestead-Miami Speedway for the first time. The Pro Championship competition highlighted a jam-packed weekend of activities that included the kick-off of the PRO 2 Series competition and Offset Kings car show.
“Homestead-Miami Speedway provided a great new venue for our Championship,” says Jim Liaw, President of Formula DRIFT. “The increasingly bigger fan base was treated to some impressive driving all weekend with the first event PRO 2 Series competition and Round 3 of the Pro Championship.”
The final battle pitted Vaughn Gittin , Jr. against points leader and the number one qualifier, Chris Forsberg in the Hankook Tire Nissan 370Z. The final battle was close, but Gittin was able to out perform his rival to earn his second consecutive event victory moving into second place overall in the championship standings. Forsberg retains the lead by with a ten point margin heading into the fourth round of competition. Rounding out the podium in third place was the number three qualifier, Kenny Moen in the Achilles Radial / Bridges Racing Nissan 240SX.
“It feels really amazing to be here and come to a brand new track and work with my team to get my Monster Energy, Nitto Tire Ford Mustang RTR on rails to be able to hit every mark and compete with some of the best drivers in the world,” said Vaughn Gittin Jr., winner of Round 3: Miami Heat. “Back to back wins is just amazing and we are working hard and it just feels good that its paying off and I’m just pumped.”
The 2014 Formula DRIFT Championship season continues with Round 4: The Gauntlet at Wall Speedway in New Jersey on June 20-21.
Formula DRIFT Round 1: Streets of Long Beach Results;
Chris Forsberg Takes the Opening Round Victory of 2014 Pro Championship
Long Beach, Calif. – April 6, 2014 – Formula DRIFT presented by GoPro kicked-off the first event of the 2014 season with Round 1: Streets of Long Beach to a sold out crowd. Chris Forsberg in the Hankook Tire Nissan 370 Z takes the victory and the lead in the chase for the championship.
Round 1: Streets of Long Beach started off the eleventh season of Formula DRIFT to a sell out crowd. Over 20,000 fans gathered to experience the drifting action and excitement on the famous Streets of Long Beach Grand Prix course. The Dailymotion Livestream partnership saw over 230,000 unique viewers watch the Driftstream over the event weekend with over 1 million views in a 24 hour period.
“It is truly a fantastic feeling to see not only the live event attendance grow steadily year after year, but also the global Driftstream audience,” says Jim Liaw, President of Formula DRIFT. “We pride ourselves in being able to provide entertainment to such a young, engaged and tech-savvy audience.”
Consistent driving helped propel Chris Forsberg to the top of the podium to earn the season’s first victory and championship points lead. Forsberg faced Norway’s Kenny Moen in the Bridges Racing Nissan 240SX in the final battle and after a close decision the judges awarded Forsberg the win. The top qualifier and 2013 defending champion, Michael Essa in the Essa Autosport / Yokohama Tire BMW M3 rounded out the podium with third place.
“It feels amazing to be on top of the podium, especially here at the first round of the eleventh season of Formula DRIFT,” said Chris Forsberg, winner of Round 1: Streets of Long Beach. “We will try to keep the momentum with our new changes and take the championship home.”
Formula DRIFT Professional Championship Presented by GoPro 2014 Standings After One Round
1. Forsberg, Chris Hankook Tire Nissan 370Z 104.50 Points
2. Moen, Kenneth Bridges Racing Nissan 240SX 84.50 Points
3. Essa, Michael Essa Autosport / Yokohama BMW M3 74.00 Points
4. Pawlak, Justin Falken Tire Ford Mustang 68.50 Points
5. Aasbo, Fredric Hankook Tire Scion Racing tC 52.50 Points
6. Wang, Forrest Get Nuts Lab / Hankook Tire / STR Racing Nissan S14 51.00 Points
7. Bakchis, Aurimas Feal Suspension / Nitto Tire Nissan 240SX 51.00 Points
8. McNamara, Darren Falken Tire Nissan S14 51.00 Points
9. Gittin Jr., Vaughn Monster Energy / Nitto Tire Ford Mustang RTR 39.50 Points
10. McQuarrie, Tyler GoPro Mobil 1Chevrolet Camaro 38.00 Points
11. Goodin, Pat Enjuku Racing Nissan 240SX 35.00 Points
12. Tuerck, Ryan Retaks Maxxis Tires Air Force PSI Scion FR-S 35.00 Points
12. Grunewald, Conrad Megan Racing / Top 1 Oil / BRE Chevrolet Camaro 35.00 Points
13. Mohan, Kyle GT Radial Energy-X Mazdatrix RX-8 35.00 Points
15. Baribeau, Mats Gold in the Net Toyota Mark II 33.50 Points
16. Mertzanis, Dennis Hyundai Genesis Legato AR1 33.50 Points
Round 1: Streets of Long Beach Event Results
1. Forsberg, Chris Hankook Tire Nissan 370Z Winner
2. Moen, Kenneth Bridges Racing Nissan 240SX 2nd Place
3. Essa, Michael Essa Autosport / Yokohama BMW M3 3rd Place
Manufacturers Championship Standings After One Round
1. Nissan 122.00 Points
2. Ford 108.00
3. BMW 94.50 Points
4. Scion 87.50 Points
5. Chevrolet 73.00 Points
Tire Championship Standings After One Round
1. Hankook 157.00 Points
2. Falken 119.50 Points
3. Achilles 102.00 Points
4. Nitto 90.50 Points
5. Yokohama 74.00 Points
For full Standings visit: Formula DRIFT Standings