Date: Friday, April 14, 2023
Location: Streets of Long Beach, Long Beach, CA
Event: 2023 Formula DRIFT Super Drift Challenge, Day 1
- Joao Barion (Brazil) – Corvette Barbarius
- Trenton Beechum (USA) – Nexen Tire / Clonex Racing BMW
- Rome Charpentier (USA) – Garagistic / Vitour Tire E36 BMW
- Diego Higa (Brazil) – Toyota GT86
- Dean Kearney (Ireland) – HyperNFT Dodge Viper
- Sam Maghmoumi (Lebanon) – 412 Motorsport BMW E82
- Kyle Mohan (USA) – Mazda MX5 Rotary
- Forrest Wang (USA) – Yellowspeed / NRG Nissan
1. Rome Charpentier (USA) – Garagistic / Vitour Tire E36 BMW
2. Forrest Wang (USA) – Yellowspeed / NRG Nissan
3. Trenton Beechum (USA) – Nexen Tire / Clonex Racing BMW
- Driver match-ups for tandem competition runs were decided by a random draw in the absence of traditional Formula DRIFT qualifying runs
- The majority of drivers used their Formula DRIFT PRO competition machines for Super Drift, developing up to 1000hp in most cases, with Dean Kearney’s Viper producing 1350hp
- Rome Charpentier built on an incredibly strong second place at Round 1 of the Formula DRIFT PRO Championship last weekend to win his first Super Drift event
- Second place Forrest Wang competed in a back-up car to save his competition car for Round 2 of the Formula DRIFT PRO Championship. Wang won Super Drift twice in 2022 while Charpentier secured two third place finishes in 2022 and another in 2021
- Trenton Beechum swapped from a Ford Mustang to BMW for 2023 and is immediately seeing better results
- Super Drift was the first time Sam Maghmoumi had run the Long Beach course. He beat Kyle Mohan in the Top 8 heat but withdrew from the Top 4 with clutch issues
ABOUT SUPER DRIFT
Super Drift Challenge is an invitational event. Competitors are drawn from the Formula DRIFT series but do not score points towards the FD PRO or PROSPEC Championships.
Formula DRIFT has a long history with the Grand Prix of Long Beach, dating back to 2005 when their series was invited to conduct an annual full course drift demo for GP fans.
In 2012, Super Drift was introduced, offering a more traditional Formula DRIFT competition elimination format for spectators to enjoy.
In 2006, Formula DRIFT worked with Grand Prix of Long Beach to establish its own stand-alone Championship round using Turns 9 to 11. Round 1 of the Formula DRIFT PRO Championship season takes place the weekend before the Grand Prix. Streets of Long Beach has since become a mainstay of the annual eight-round Formula DRIFT calendar.
Drifting is judged on a driver’s line through the course, angle in the turns, and style throughout the run. The chase car’s proximity to the lead car is also a crucial factor.
FORMULA DRIFT NEXT ROUND
Drift Atlanta presented by Bud Light at Michelin Raceway Road Atlanta will host the Formula DRIFT PRO Championship Round 2: TYPE S Road to the Championship presented by AutoZone on May 11-13. Please visit formulad.com for the competition schedule, ticket information, driver profiles, special content, and the event livestream.