Geat clouds boil, escape made impossible by packed grandstands. The white, burned-hair funk of tire smoke settles onto sweating skin of every age, sex, and color, all united by grit and noise, standing and cheering. Two cars atomize tens of thousands of miles of perfectly good tire before one driver’s subtle misstep erases tens of thousands of dollars of bodywork with a deafening impact on the Irwindale Speedway banking. The crowd leaps to its feet, cheering hard enough to drown the wail of the victorious remaining driver and his engine.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
2016 Achilles Radial Drift Driver Announcement
SANTA CLARITA, CALIF., March 24, 2016 – Achilles Radial will expand on existing motorsports programs in 2016, with Formula DRIFT remaining as the cornerstone of their global effort. Achilles Motorsports is dedicated to providing top quality product to racers from the grassroots to professional level. This commitment to the racing community is the focus of the marketing efforts for the brand in North America.
Formula DRIFT USA
Achilles Radial is proud to announce the roster of talented drivers that will compete on Achilles Radial 123S and ATR Sport 2 tires in Formula DRIFT USA during the 2015 season. Anchored by Formula DRIFT veteran Robbie Nishida, fan favorite Dean Kearney and 2013 Champion Michael Essa, the team includes returning drivers and new faces, both within the PRO and PRO2 ranks.
The drivers that will be competing on Achilles Radial tires for the 2016 season are listed below:
Robbie Nishida, Dean Kearney, Andrew Gray, Kristaps Bluss, Brody Goble, Marc Landreville, Michael Essa, Kenny Moen, Charles Ng, Juha Rintanen and Faruk Kugay
Joe Tardiff, Chris Filippi, Ethan Hunter, Dirk Stratton, Doug VanDenBrink, Riley Sexsmith, Sheng Nian, Austin Meeks, Rafello Ambivero, Donovan Brockaway and Aaron Day
You can see Team Achilles PRO compete at the 2016 Formula DRIFT season opener in Long Beach, California on April 8th and 9th and PRO2 at Formula DRIFT Atlanta on May 6th and 7th. For more information on Formula DRIFT, visit www.formulad.com.
Achilles Radial will support several drift teams in Europe for the 2016 season. We are pleased to partner with Steven Donnelly / Team Diemax as well as the HGK Racing team as they compete in various drift events throughout Europe in 2016.
USA RACER SUPPORT PROGRAM
Achilles Motorsports offers a racer support program to drivers in all Formula DRIFT sanctioned pro/am series in the US and Canada. Drivers who are interested in taking part in the racer support program should visit http://www.achillesmotorsportsllc.com/racer-support-program.html
The program offers discounted pricing to qualified drivers and contingency programs within many of the race series in the US.
Formula Drift Pro/Am Contingency Program
Drivers who actively take part in the AMS Racer Support Program and compete in an approved US and Canada Formula DRIFT licensing series are eligible for the following contingency payout for the 2016 season:
1st Place: $200.00 Achilles Bucks
2nd Place: $100.00 Achilles Bucks
3rd Place: $50.00 Achilles Bucks
Achilles bucks can be used to purchase tires and promotional items from Achilles Motorsports.
Drivers who take part in the AMS Racer Support Program and receive their Formula DRIFT PRO2 license will automatically have a place in the Achilles PRO2 program.
Please contact Cheralyn Hale, Director of Marketing, at email@example.com with any questions about the racer support program and to receive guidelines for the contingency program.
2015 World Championship Awards
World Champion: Fredric Aasbo
2nd in World Championship: Aurimas Bakchis
3rd in World Championship: Matt Field
2015 Pro Championship Awards
Pro Champion: Fredric Aasbo
2nd in Pro Championship: Ken Gushi
3rd in Pro Championship: Chris Forsberg
Voted on by Fans
– Fan Favorite Driver : Mike Whiddett
– Fan Favorite Car: Daigo Saito’s Nissan Skyline GT-R (R35)
Voted on by Peers (other drivers/team members):
– Best Looking Suit: Forrest Wang
– Spirit of Drifting: Ken Gushi
– Crew Member of the Year: Nathan Tasukon (GReddy Racing)
– Crew Chief of the Year: Garrett Nikolich (Get Nuts Lab)
– Team Manager of the Year: Kenji Sumino (GReddy Racing)
Results are Stats Based:
– Most Improved Driver of the Year (2014 ranking to 2015 ranking): Alex Hohnadell (Ranked 31 in 2014, Ranked 10 in 2015)
– Comeback of the Year (Qualifying rank to finishing position; biggest jump): Dean Kearney (Qualified 21st, Finished 2nd)
– Top Qualifier of the Year (Highest qualifying percentage): Fredric Aasbo
– Top Gun (Highest head to head win percentage): Fredric Aasbo
– Ace (Most head to head wins): Fredric Aasbo
– Rookie of the Year: Masashi Yokoi
– Auto Manufacturer Champion: Scion
– Tire Manufacturer Champion: Hankook
2015 Pro 2 Championship Awards
– Pro2 Champion: Alex Heilbrunn
– 2nd in Pro2 Championship: James Evans
– 3rd in Pro2 Championship: Juha Rintanen
– Rookie of the Year: Alex Heilbrunn
Formula DRIFT Round 7: Final Fight Results;
Fredric Aasbo Takes the Event Victory and Wins the Overall Pro and World Championship
Long Beach, Calif. – October 11, 2015 – Formula DRIFT presented by GoPro finished the 2015 Pro Championship and World Championship season at Irwindale Speedway. Fredric Aasbo in the Rockstar Energy Drink / Hankook Scion tC had a successful evening winning the final event of the season, while taking both the Formula DRIFT Pro Championship and inaugural World Championship.
Round 7: Final Fight showcased tremendous action to a sold out crowd at Irwindale Speedway. Drivers had to adjust to a new course configuration which created a new dynamic to the competition. Close to 400,000 viewers tuned into the Driftstream to watch the Finals weekend.
“History was made tonight with the crowning of the first World Champion,” said Jim Liaw, President of Formula DRIFT. “Having the PRO 2, Pro, and World Championship all come to a climatic finish at Irwindale Speedway made for a very special weekend. The fan base continues to grow each and every year and the sell out crowd was treated to a very entertaining event.”
Aasbo entered the event with a significant lead in the points standings, yet was able to keep his cool and drive consistent throughout the night. As the event unfolded, he was able to clinch the Pro and World Championship by moving on to the Top 16 competition creating a significant point margin that could not be overcome. Aasbo met with Hankook and Scion Racing teammate, Ken Gushi, who sat in second place in the standings, in the Finals. Aasbo edged out Gushi to take the win and make a clean sweep for the weekend. Gushi finishes the season in second place overall, his highest finish in his career. Number one qualifier, Forrest Wang, in the Get Nuts Lab Nissan S15 rounded out the podium with a third place finish. Two-time Formula DRIFT champion, Chris Forsberg in the NOS Energy Drink / Hankook Nissan 370Z finishes the season in third place overall.
The night was successful for Scion and Hankook as they finish with the Manufacturer and Tire Manufacturer season championship. Scion also finished one and two in the event and overall for the season. Hankook finished successfully with a first, second, and third place finish in both the event and overall championship, making for the first podium sweep for the tire manufacturer in their Formula DRIFT history.
“What an incredible night. Winning the event and clinching the Formula DRIFT U.S. Championship and the first World Championship, you couldn’t have scripted a better story,” said Fredric Aasbo, winner of Round 7: Final Fight. “It’s been a rollercoaster and we’ve had ups and downs over the past five years, but the team has stayed on top of everything helping to grow to a championship contender and I couldn’t be more proud of what we have achieved this season.”
For more information visit: www.formuladrift.com and find Formula DRIFT on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter. Tune into Formula DRIFT on CBS Sports and check your local listings for airtimes.
Round 7: Final Fight Event Results
1. Aasbo, Fredric Rockstar Energy Drink / Hankook Scion tC Winner
2. Gushi, Ken GReddy Racing / Hankook Tire Scion Racing FR-S 2nd Place
3. Wang, Forrest Get Nuts Lab Nissan S15 3rd Place
4. Pawlak, Justin Roush Performance / Car Crafters Ford Mustang 4th Place
5. Whiddett, Mike Red Bull / Mobil 1 / Mazda “Radbul” 5th Place
6. Forsberg, Chris NOS Energy Drink / Hankook Tire Nissan 370Z 6th Place
7. Bakchis, Aurimas Feal Suspension / ARK Performance / Nitto Nissan 240SX 7th Place
8. Ng, Charles Maxxis / Sparkplugs.com / Speedhunters Infiniti G37 8th Place
9. Field, Matt CX Racing / Yokohama Nissan S14 9th Place
10. DeNofa, Chelsea BC Racing / GT Radial BMW 3-Series 10th Place
11. Foust, Tanner Rockstar Energy / Nitto Tire Volkswagen Passat 15th Place
12. Tuerck, Ryan Retaks / Maxxis / Nameless Performance Scion FR-S 12th Place
13. Yokoi, Masashi D-Max Nissan S15 Silvia 13th Place
14. Essa, Michael SLP Performance / Yokohama Chevy Camaro 14th Place
15. Saito, Daigo Achilles Radial Nissan GT-R 15th Place
16. Mordaunt, Pat DriftPaddock.com / Falken Tire Nissan 350Z 16th Place
2015 Formula DRIFT Championship Presented by GoPro Top 3 Final Standings
1. Aasbo, Fredric Rockstar Energy Drink / Hankook Scion tC 530.00 Points
2. Gushi, Ken GReddy Racing / Hankook Tire Scion Racing FR-S 431.00 Points
3. Forsberg, Chris NOS Energy Drink / Hankook Nissan 370Z 382.00 Points
2015 Formula DRIFT World Championship Top 3 Final Standings
1. Aasbo, Fredric Rockstar Energy Drink / Hankook Scion tC 793.00 Points
2. Bakchis, Aurimas Feal / ARK Performance / Nitto Nissan 240SX 534 Points
3. Field, Matt CX Racing / Yokohama Nissan S14 407 Points
2015 Manufacturers Championship Final Standings
1. Scion 1113.00 Points
2. Nissan 640.00 Points
3. Ford 515.00 Points
4. Chevrolet 390.00 Points
5. Mazda 318.00 Points
6. Infiniti 229.00 Points
7. Dodge 222.00 Points
8. BMW 193.00 Points
9. Toyota 123.00 Points
2015 Tire Championship Final Standings
1. Hankook 1094.00 Points
2. Achilles 696.00 Points
3. Nitto 673.00 Points
4. Falken 659.00 Points
5. Yokohama 642.00 Points
6. Maxxis 555.00 Points
7. GT Radial 356.00 Points