Formula DRIFT Round 7: Showdown Results;
Matt Field Earns His First Career Victory
Long Beach, Calif. – September 10, 2016 – Formula DRIFT presented by BlackVue returned to Texas for Round 7: Autozone Showdown presented by Black Magic. Matt Field in the Falken Tire / Driftcave Motorsports Nissan 240 takes his first ever victory.
Texas Motor Speedway played host for the action packed event. With only one event until the final event of the season the drivers put it all on the line in their chase for the championship. Heading into the event only 15 points separated the Top 3 drivers.
“The competition tonight showcased the diversity and talent of the driver pool,” said Jim Liaw, President of Formula DRIFT. “We had a mix of past champions and young guns drive their hearts out at a very high level on a challenging and competitive course.”
The event was highly competitive with many battles often too close to call for the judges leading to several “one more time” calls. In the Great 8, returning champion Fredric Aasbo in the Rockstar Energy / Nexen Tire SR by Toyota tC, who entered the event second in points by only five points faced the 2-time champion and point leader, Chris Forsberg in the NOS Energy Drink / Hankook Nissan 370Z. This battle was significant for the championship chase. An over correction by Aasbo opened the door for Forsberg to enter the semi-finals.
Forsberg met the young gun, Alec Hohnadell in the Enjuku / Get Nuts Lab / Nexen Tire Nissan 240, in the semi-finals. Hohnadell had car issues throughout the competition, which got the best of him helping to advance Forsberg into the Finals. Matt Field faced Kristaps Bluss in the HGK / Mast / Motul / Achilles BMW M3. A major mistake by Bluss on his chase run took him off course to give Field the win. Forsberg and Field met in the Finals. Forsberg drove aggressive, but that lead to him running into Field and that ultimately gave Field his first Formula DRIFT victory. This marks Forsberg’s sixth consecutive podium and he now leads the chase for the championship by 36 points with one event remaining.
“I knew we could do it, it took a little while, but we are there,” said Matt Field, winner of Round 7: Showdown. “We did it. We got the “W.” Thank you to everybody.”
The 2016 Formula DRIFT Pro Championship will continue to Round 8: O’Reilly Auto Parts Title Fight sponsored by Gumout on October 7-8, 2016 at Irwindale Speedway. For more information visit,www.formulad.com and find Formula DRIFT on Instagram @formulad, Facebook www.facebook.com/formuladrift, Twitter @FormulaD, and Snapchat – formula_drift. Tune into Formula DRIFT on CBS Sports and check your local listings for airtimes.
Formula DRIFT Round 6: Throwdown Results;
Aurimas “Odi” Bakchis Takes the Victory to Shake Up the Standings
Long Beach, Calif. – August 6, 2016 – Formula DRIFT presented by BlackVue returned to Monroe, Washington for the sixth round of competition. Aurimas “Odi” Bakchis in the Ark Performance / Feal Suspension / Falken Tire Hyundai Genesis is Victorious.
Evergreen Speedway hosted Round 6: Throwdown in the Pacific Northwest. The action packed event showcased some of the closest battles to date. The competition was fierce as many of the high ranked drivers were taken out early in the competition opening the door for the other drivers to move up in the standings. With two events remaining in the 2016 Pro Championship season less than 55 points separate the top four drivers.
“It was awesome to treat the capacity crowd to an amazing weekend of competition, during one of the busiest event weekends in the region.” said Jim Liaw, President of Formula DRIFT.
The highly competitive event saw a shake up in the Pro Championship standings with Vaughn Gittin, who qualified first and was on top of the standings heading into Round 6, lose in the Top 16, which opened the door for the other drivers as Gittin moves down to third place overall by only 15 points. 2-time champion, Chris Forsberg in the NOS Energy / Hankook Tire Nissan 370Z faced Matt Coffman in the Coffman Racing Nissan 240 in the semi-finals. Forsberg edged out the young driver to advance to the Finals. Ken Gushi in the GReddy Racing / Nexen Tire SR by Toyota 86 met Bakchis in the semi-finals. Bakchis outdrove his opponent to move to the Finals. Errors on Forsberg’s run helped give Bakchis his first victory of the season. Forsberg’s second place finish moves him into the lead by 5 points over Fredric Aasbo.
“I’m really happy with the win. It’s been a lot of work on our part and with our sponsors Ark Performance, Feal Suspension, and Falken Tire,” said Aurimas “Odi” Bakchis, winner of Round 6: Throwdown. “I really want to keep this momentum going into the next round and am excited for the rest of the season.”
The 2016 Formula DRIFT Pro Championship will continue to Round 7: Showdown on September 9-10, 2016 at Texas Motor Speedway. For more information visit, www.formulad.com and find Formula DRIFT on Instagram @formulad, Facebook www.facebook.com/formuladrift, Twitter @FormulaD, and Snapchat – formula_drift. Tune into Formula DRIFT on CBS Sports and check your local listings for airtimes.
Round 6: Throwdown Event Results
1. Bakchis, Aurimas Ark Performance / Feal Suspension / Falken Hyundai Genesis Winner
2. Forsberg, Chris NOS Energy Drink / Hankook Tire Nissan 370Z 2nd Place
3. Gushi, Ken GReddy Racing / Nexen Tire SR by Toyota 86 3rd Place
4. Coffman, Matt Coffman Racing Nissan 240 4th Place
5. McQuarrie, Tyler Mobil 1 Chevy Camaro 5th Place
6. Aasbo, Fredric Rockstar Energy Drink / Nexen Tire SR by Toyota tC 6th Place
7. Foust, Tanner Rockstar Energy Drink / Nexen Tire Volkswagen Passat 7th Place
8. Kearney, Dean Oracle Lighting Dodge Viper 8th Place
9. Gittin, Vaughn Monster Energy / Nitto Tire Ford Mustang RTR 9th Place
10. Field, Matt Falken Tire / Driftcave Motorsports Nissan 240 10th Place
11. Yoshihara, Dai Falken Tire / Turn 14 Subaru BRZ 11th Place
12. Moen, Kenny Team Boost Lock BMW M3 12th Place
13. Wang, Forrest Get Nuts Lab / Hankook Tire Nissan 240 13th Place
14. Nishida, Robbie Achilles Radial Infiniti G37 14th Place
15. Hohnadell, Alec Enjuku / Get Nuts Lab / Nexen Tire Nissan 240 15th Place
16. Castro, Jhonnattan Gerdau Meltadom / Nexen Tire Toyota 86 16th Place
2016 Formula DRIFT Championship Presented by BlackVue Standings After 6 Events
1. Forsberg, Chris
NOS Energy Drink / Hankook Tire Nissan 370Z
2. Aasbo, Fredric Rockstar Energy Drink / Nexen Tire SR by Toyota tC 414.00 Points
3. Gittin, Vaughn Monster Energy / Nitto Tire Ford Mustang RTR 404.00 Points
2016 Manufacturer Championship Standings After 6 Events
1. SR by Toyota 737.00 Points
2. Ford 565.00 Points
3. Nissan 558.00 Points
4. BMW 389.00 Points
5. Mazda 245.00 Points
6. Chevrolet 222.00 Points
7. Dodge 203.00 Points
8. Infiniti 190.00 Points
9. Lexus 122.00 Points
2016 Tire Championship Standings After 6 Events
1. Nexen 796.00 Points
2. Falken 750.00 Points
3. Hankook 682.00 Points
4. Nitto 593.00 Points
5. Achilles 521.00 Points
7. GT Radial 320.00 Points
Formula DRIFT Round 7: Final Fight Results;
Fredric Aasbo Takes the Event Victory and Wins the Overall Pro and World Championship
Long Beach, Calif. – October 11, 2015 – Formula DRIFT presented by GoPro finished the 2015 Pro Championship and World Championship season at Irwindale Speedway. Fredric Aasbo in the Rockstar Energy Drink / Hankook Scion tC had a successful evening winning the final event of the season, while taking both the Formula DRIFT Pro Championship and inaugural World Championship.
Round 7: Final Fight showcased tremendous action to a sold out crowd at Irwindale Speedway. Drivers had to adjust to a new course configuration which created a new dynamic to the competition. Close to 400,000 viewers tuned into the Driftstream to watch the Finals weekend.
“History was made tonight with the crowning of the first World Champion,” said Jim Liaw, President of Formula DRIFT. “Having the PRO 2, Pro, and World Championship all come to a climatic finish at Irwindale Speedway made for a very special weekend. The fan base continues to grow each and every year and the sell out crowd was treated to a very entertaining event.”
Aasbo entered the event with a significant lead in the points standings, yet was able to keep his cool and drive consistent throughout the night. As the event unfolded, he was able to clinch the Pro and World Championship by moving on to the Top 16 competition creating a significant point margin that could not be overcome. Aasbo met with Hankook and Scion Racing teammate, Ken Gushi, who sat in second place in the standings, in the Finals. Aasbo edged out Gushi to take the win and make a clean sweep for the weekend. Gushi finishes the season in second place overall, his highest finish in his career. Number one qualifier, Forrest Wang, in the Get Nuts Lab Nissan S15 rounded out the podium with a third place finish. Two-time Formula DRIFT champion, Chris Forsberg in the NOS Energy Drink / Hankook Nissan 370Z finishes the season in third place overall.
The night was successful for Scion and Hankook as they finish with the Manufacturer and Tire Manufacturer season championship. Scion also finished one and two in the event and overall for the season. Hankook finished successfully with a first, second, and third place finish in both the event and overall championship, making for the first podium sweep for the tire manufacturer in their Formula DRIFT history.
“What an incredible night. Winning the event and clinching the Formula DRIFT U.S. Championship and the first World Championship, you couldn’t have scripted a better story,” said Fredric Aasbo, winner of Round 7: Final Fight. “It’s been a rollercoaster and we’ve had ups and downs over the past five years, but the team has stayed on top of everything helping to grow to a championship contender and I couldn’t be more proud of what we have achieved this season.”
For more information visit: www.formuladrift.com and find Formula DRIFT on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter. Tune into Formula DRIFT on CBS Sports and check your local listings for airtimes.
Round 7: Final Fight Event Results
1. Aasbo, Fredric Rockstar Energy Drink / Hankook Scion tC Winner
2. Gushi, Ken GReddy Racing / Hankook Tire Scion Racing FR-S 2nd Place
3. Wang, Forrest Get Nuts Lab Nissan S15 3rd Place
4. Pawlak, Justin Roush Performance / Car Crafters Ford Mustang 4th Place
5. Whiddett, Mike Red Bull / Mobil 1 / Mazda “Radbul” 5th Place
6. Forsberg, Chris NOS Energy Drink / Hankook Tire Nissan 370Z 6th Place
7. Bakchis, Aurimas Feal Suspension / ARK Performance / Nitto Nissan 240SX 7th Place
8. Ng, Charles Maxxis / Sparkplugs.com / Speedhunters Infiniti G37 8th Place
9. Field, Matt CX Racing / Yokohama Nissan S14 9th Place
10. DeNofa, Chelsea BC Racing / GT Radial BMW 3-Series 10th Place
11. Foust, Tanner Rockstar Energy / Nitto Tire Volkswagen Passat 15th Place
12. Tuerck, Ryan Retaks / Maxxis / Nameless Performance Scion FR-S 12th Place
13. Yokoi, Masashi D-Max Nissan S15 Silvia 13th Place
14. Essa, Michael SLP Performance / Yokohama Chevy Camaro 14th Place
15. Saito, Daigo Achilles Radial Nissan GT-R 15th Place
16. Mordaunt, Pat DriftPaddock.com / Falken Tire Nissan 350Z 16th Place
2015 Formula DRIFT Championship Presented by GoPro Top 3 Final Standings
1. Aasbo, Fredric Rockstar Energy Drink / Hankook Scion tC 530.00 Points
2. Gushi, Ken GReddy Racing / Hankook Tire Scion Racing FR-S 431.00 Points
3. Forsberg, Chris NOS Energy Drink / Hankook Nissan 370Z 382.00 Points
2015 Formula DRIFT World Championship Top 3 Final Standings
1. Aasbo, Fredric Rockstar Energy Drink / Hankook Scion tC 793.00 Points
2. Bakchis, Aurimas Feal / ARK Performance / Nitto Nissan 240SX 534 Points
3. Field, Matt CX Racing / Yokohama Nissan S14 407 Points
2015 Manufacturers Championship Final Standings
1. Scion 1113.00 Points
2. Nissan 640.00 Points
3. Ford 515.00 Points
4. Chevrolet 390.00 Points
5. Mazda 318.00 Points
6. Infiniti 229.00 Points
7. Dodge 222.00 Points
8. BMW 193.00 Points
9. Toyota 123.00 Points
2015 Tire Championship Final Standings
1. Hankook 1094.00 Points
2. Achilles 696.00 Points
3. Nitto 673.00 Points
4. Falken 659.00 Points
5. Yokohama 642.00 Points
6. Maxxis 555.00 Points
7. GT Radial 356.00 Points
Formula DRIFT Round 7: Final Fight Results;
Daigo Saito Wins Finale and Chris Forsberg is Crowned Champion
Long Beach, Calif. – October 11, 2014 – Formula DRIFT returned to Irwindale Speedway for the 2014 Pro Championship season finale. Daigo Saito in the Achilles Radial Lexus SC430 takes the event victory. Chris Forsberg in the Hankook Tire Nissan 370Z wins his second career championship.
Round 7: Final Fight held at Irwindale Speedway did not disappoint the sold out crowd with an action packed weekend that featured the Pro Championship, PRO 2 Championship, Offset Kings car show and more. The Driftstream had over 200,000 unique viewers to the live stream for the event weekend.
“What a way to end the 2014 Pro Championship season,” says Jim Liaw, President of Formula DRIFT. “We could not have asked for a more climatic ending with the championship determined at the very last battle of the season. The competitive rivalry that Aasbo and Forsberg had all season could not have been any more exciting.”
Entering the event, Forsberg lead the Pro Championship chase by a mere 26 points. As the competition progressed through the night both Aasbo and Forsberg would meet in the Top 4 to control their championship destiny. Aasbo in one of the tightest battles of the evening got the better of Forsberg for the fourth time this season in head to head battles, yet he needed to win the entire event to win the championship.
“A wild season for us. We wanted the championship so bad after last year,” said Chris Forsberg, 2014 Formula DRIFT champion. “Taking the win in Long Beach and holding the lead throughout the season to the Finals only to basically lose to Aasbo every time we went up against him. He was our kryptonite all season long. We were able to hold him off just enough to take the championship home and we are super pumped and very proud of our team for giving us the best car we ever had.”
The number one qualifier, Forrest Wang in the Get Nuts Lab / Hankook / STR Racing Nissan S14 went against Daigo Saito in the Top 4. In a close battle, Saito edged out Wang to make it into the Finals against Aasbo. In another closely fought battle, Saito beat out Aasbo, to win his third consecutive victory at Irwindale Speedway, having won the event in 2012 and 2013, and helping to award Forsberg with his second Pro Championship. Forsberg is only the third driver in Formula DRIFT history to hold two championships with his 2009 championship and now 2014 championship.
“This year we have had a very hard time with our results and ranking,” said Daigo Saito, winner of Round 7: Final Fight. “We are excited to earn a win to end the season here at Irwindale Speedway. This is also the third win for us in a row here and I am very happy.”
In addition to the 2014 Championship, both the Tire and Manufacturer Championships were determined at Round 7: Final Fight. Hankook Tire won the Tire Manufacturer Championship, while Scion won the Manufacturer Championship.
For more information visit: www.formuladrift.com and find Formula DRIFT on Instagram @formulad, Facebook www.facebook.com/formuladrift and Twitter @FormulaDrift.
Formula DRIFT Professional Championship Presented by GoPro 2014 Final Standings
1. Forsberg, Chris Hankook Tire Nissan 370Z 561.50 Points
2. Aasbo, Fredric Hankook Tire Scion Racing tC 550.00 Points
3. Gittin Jr., Vaughn Monster Energy / Nitto Tire Ford Mustang RTR 393.00 Points
4. Bakchis, Aurimas “Odi” Feal Suspension / Nitto Tire Nissan 240SX 364.50 Points
5. Wang, Forrest Get Nuts Lab / Hankook Tire / STR Racing Nissan S14 331.50 Points
6. Moen, Kenneth Bridges Racing Nissan 240SX 310.50 Points
7. McNamara, Darren Falken Tire Nissan S14 298.00 Points
8. Kearney, Dean Oracle Lighting Dodge Viper SRT 287.00 Points
9. Pawlak, Justin Falken Tire Ford Mustang 277.00 Points
10. Grunewald, Conrad Megan Racing / Top 1 Oil / BRE Chevrolet Camaro 262.50 Points
11. Nishida, Robbie Achilles Radial / Bridges Racing Lexus SC300 261.00 Points
12. Tuerck, Ryan Retaks Maxxis Tires Air Force PSI Scion FR-S 235.00 Points
13. Gushi, Ken GReddy Performance / Scion Racing Drift FR-S 227.50 Points
14. Saito, Daigo Achilles Radial Lexus SC430 224.00 Points
15. Field, Matt CX Racing Nitto Tire Nissan 240SX 221.50 Points
16. Essa, Michael Essa Autosport / Yokohama BMW M3 218.50 Points
Round 7: Final Fight Event Results
1. Saito, Daigo Achilles Radial Lexus SC430 Winner
2. Aasbo, Fredric Hankook Tire Scion Racing tC 2nd Place
3. Wang, Forrest Get Nuts Lab / Hankook Tire / STR Racing Nissan S14 3rd Place
Manufacturers Championship Final Standings
1. Scion 843.00 Points
2. Nissan 721.00 Points
3. Ford 670.00 Points
4. Lexus 485.00 Points
5. Chevy 471.50 Points
Tire Championship Final Standings
1. Hankook 1119.50 Points
2. Nitto 836.00 Points
3. Achilles 801.00 Points
4. Falken 681.50 Points
5. Maxxis 386.50 Points
As we enter the final round of competition at Irwindale Speedway, only two drivers have a mathematical chance to win the coveted Formula DRIFT championship. Round 7: Final Fight will pit the 2009 champion Chris Forsberg, who leads the standings with 493 points, against Fredric Aasbo currently sitting in second with 467 points. A 26 point difference.
In order for Fredric to make up the 26 point deficit he will need to finish two rounds further in competition than Chris. This does not take into consideration qualifying points, which may play a large role in the championship this season.
Example 1: If Chris gets knocked out in the Top 32 then Fredric would need to advance to the Top 8 in order to win the championship.
In this scenario the point totals would look like this:
Forsberg – 493 points + 16 points (Top 32) = 509 points
Aasbo – 467 points + 16 points (Top 32) + 16 points (Top 16) + 16 points (Top 8) = 515 points
Example 2: If Chris finishes in the Top 4 then Fredric would need to win the event to earn the championship.
In this scenario the point totals would look like this:
Forsberg – 493 points + 16 points (Top 32) + 16 (Top 16) + 16 (Top 8) + 16 (Top 4) = 557 points
Aasbo – 467 points + 16 points (Top 32) + 16 points (Top 16) + 16 points (Top 8) + 16 (Top 4) + 20 (1st place) = 567 points
Again, this is without considering qualifying points in which Forsberg has averaged a higher qualifying position this season with an average qualifying point total of 6.83 points, while Aasbo is averaging 4.5 qualifying points. If the two meet head to head they will control their own destiny on the way to a championship. This season Fredric and Chris have faced each other on three separate occasions and Fredric has won each time. The only thing that is for certain is that this will be an exciting and climatic event to crown the 2014 Formula DRIFT champion.