Motegi Racing Super Drift Challenge Results;
Daigo Saito Takes the Victory
Long Beach, Calif. – April 12, 2014 – Formula DRIFT hosted the Motegi Racing Super Drift Challenge during the 40th annual Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach. Daigo Saito in the Achilles Radial Lexus SC430 takes the victory.
The Motegi Racing Super Drift Challenge for the second consecutive year brought motorsports action under the lights during the annual Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach with a filled capacity within Turns 9, 10, and 11 of the famous street course. Sixteen of the top Formula DRIFT drivers competed for a $25,000 prize purse. Eight vehicle manufacturers and seven tire companies were represented in the competition.
“It is an honor to be able to bring drifting to the masses during the 40th annual Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach,” stated Jim Liaw, president and co-founder of Formula DRIFT. “And to be able to showcase our sport for the second year in a row under the lights on the city streets is something special.”
The action under the lights along with ever changing track temperatures proved to be a test of driver skill. Number one qualifier, Forrest Wang in Get Nuts Lab / Hankook Tire Nissan S14 finishes in third place. Daigo Saito met teammate Kenny Moen in the Bridges Racing / Achilles Radial Nissan 240SX in the finals. Saito, the 2012 Formula DRIFT champion, was able to edge out Moen to take the victory. For the second consecutive weekend, Moen takes the second spot on the podium.
“Last weekend at Round 1 of Formula DRIFT was no good for me, but this week with a few modifications on the vehicle I was able to get the win,” said Daigo Saito, winner of the Motegi Super Drift Challenge. “I am happy with the win and look to continue the momentum into the next round.”
Newegg Renews Formula DRIFT Sponsorship for 2014 Championship;
Sponsorship Includes Official Livestream and 2013 Champion Michael Essa
Long Beach, Calif. – April 10, 2014 – Newegg today announced it is renewing and expanding its sponsorship of the 2014 Formula DRIFT Championship. In addition to the event’s official Livestream, this year Newegg is sponsoring 2013 Formula DRIFT Championship winner, Michael Essa. All of Formula DRIFT’s 2014 Livestreams can be viewed at www.formuladrift.com/live.
“Newegg is thrilled to sponsor Formula DRIFT’s Livestream broadcast again this year,” said Soren Mills, Chief Marketing Officer of Newegg North America. “It’s a great privilege to sponsor 2013 Champion Michael Essa in this year’s event. His driving skill, automotive knowledge and do-it-yourself approach align perfectly with many of Newegg’s tech and automotive enthusiasts.”
From now until April 19th, Newegg.com will feature a landing page dedicated to Formula Drift activities. Viewers can watch a livestream of Formula DRIFT events and shop great deals covering a huge selection of automotive products.
Jennifer from Newegg TV will host a series of newscasts throughout the season to keep viewers up to date and engaged in the Formula DRIFT season. The scheduled event coverage includes:
• April 4: Excerpts from Formula DRIFT Media Day
• April 11: Streets of Long Beach
• May 9: 2013 Formula DRIFT Champion, Mike Essa Documentary Part One
• October 14: Formula DRIFT Final Fight
• October 17: P2013 Formula DRIFT Champion, Mike Essa Documentary Part Two
• TBD: Coverage of the Montegi: Super Drift event at the Long Beach Grand Prix
“We are happy to have Newegg back with Formula DRIFT for the 2014 Championship,” said Jim Liaw, president and co-founder of Formula DRIFT Holdings, LLC. “Newegg’s custom computer builders, gamers and digital lifestyle early adopters are a great fit with our tech-savvy audience.”
Newegg is the e-commerce destination of choice for automotive enthusiasts, offering more than 1.6 million products from top brands including Bilstein, K&N, KW Suspension, Motul Lubricants and Wilwood Brakes. The company’s vast automotive marketplace sources competitive deals on car electronics, performance parts, accessories and replacement parts to empower Newegg’s DIY-minded customers to keep their cars race-ready without breaking the bank.
Formula DRIFT Round 1: Streets of Long Beach Results;
Chris Forsberg Takes the Opening Round Victory of 2014 Pro Championship
Long Beach, Calif. – April 6, 2014 – Formula DRIFT presented by GoPro kicked-off the first event of the 2014 season with Round 1: Streets of Long Beach to a sold out crowd. Chris Forsberg in the Hankook Tire Nissan 370 Z takes the victory and the lead in the chase for the championship.
Round 1: Streets of Long Beach started off the eleventh season of Formula DRIFT to a sell out crowd. Over 20,000 fans gathered to experience the drifting action and excitement on the famous Streets of Long Beach Grand Prix course. The Dailymotion Livestream partnership saw over 230,000 unique viewers watch the Driftstream over the event weekend with over 1 million views in a 24 hour period.
“It is truly a fantastic feeling to see not only the live event attendance grow steadily year after year, but also the global Driftstream audience,” says Jim Liaw, President of Formula DRIFT. “We pride ourselves in being able to provide entertainment to such a young, engaged and tech-savvy audience.”
Consistent driving helped propel Chris Forsberg to the top of the podium to earn the season’s first victory and championship points lead. Forsberg faced Norway’s Kenny Moen in the Bridges Racing Nissan 240SX in the final battle and after a close decision the judges awarded Forsberg the win. The top qualifier and 2013 defending champion, Michael Essa in the Essa Autosport / Yokohama Tire BMW M3 rounded out the podium with third place.
“It feels amazing to be on top of the podium, especially here at the first round of the eleventh season of Formula DRIFT,” said Chris Forsberg, winner of Round 1: Streets of Long Beach. “We will try to keep the momentum with our new changes and take the championship home.”
Formula DRIFT Professional Championship Presented by GoPro 2014 Standings After One Round
1. Forsberg, Chris Hankook Tire Nissan 370Z 104.50 Points
2. Moen, Kenneth Bridges Racing Nissan 240SX 84.50 Points
3. Essa, Michael Essa Autosport / Yokohama BMW M3 74.00 Points
4. Pawlak, Justin Falken Tire Ford Mustang 68.50 Points
5. Aasbo, Fredric Hankook Tire Scion Racing tC 52.50 Points
6. Wang, Forrest Get Nuts Lab / Hankook Tire / STR Racing Nissan S14 51.00 Points
7. Bakchis, Aurimas Feal Suspension / Nitto Tire Nissan 240SX 51.00 Points
8. McNamara, Darren Falken Tire Nissan S14 51.00 Points
9. Gittin Jr., Vaughn Monster Energy / Nitto Tire Ford Mustang RTR 39.50 Points
10. McQuarrie, Tyler GoPro Mobil 1Chevrolet Camaro 38.00 Points
11. Goodin, Pat Enjuku Racing Nissan 240SX 35.00 Points
12. Tuerck, Ryan Retaks Maxxis Tires Air Force PSI Scion FR-S 35.00 Points
12. Grunewald, Conrad Megan Racing / Top 1 Oil / BRE Chevrolet Camaro 35.00 Points
13. Mohan, Kyle GT Radial Energy-X Mazdatrix RX-8 35.00 Points
15. Baribeau, Mats Gold in the Net Toyota Mark II 33.50 Points
16. Mertzanis, Dennis Hyundai Genesis Legato AR1 33.50 Points
Round 1: Streets of Long Beach Event Results
1. Forsberg, Chris Hankook Tire Nissan 370Z Winner
2. Moen, Kenneth Bridges Racing Nissan 240SX 2nd Place
3. Essa, Michael Essa Autosport / Yokohama BMW M3 3rd Place
Manufacturers Championship Standings After One Round
1. Nissan 122.00 Points
2. Ford 108.00
3. BMW 94.50 Points
4. Scion 87.50 Points
5. Chevrolet 73.00 Points
Tire Championship Standings After One Round
1. Hankook 157.00 Points
2. Falken 119.50 Points
3. Achilles 102.00 Points
4. Nitto 90.50 Points
5. Yokohama 74.00 Points
For full Standings visit: Formula DRIFT Standings