MotorMavens.com and videographer Joe Ayala put together this great video from Round 6: Point of Impact at Sonoma. Using a Tilt Shift lens they were able to capture a different feeling creating a very dramatic mood. Check it out.
Formula DRIFT Round 6: Point of Impact Results;
Championship to be decided at Finals on October 8-9
Long Beach, Calif. – September 11, 2010 – Formula DRIFT entered Sonoma, CA for Round 6: Point of Impact with Vaughn Gittin, Jr. taking his second victory of the season and increasing his points lead heading into the last round of the season on October 8-9 at the Toyota Speedway at Irwindale.
“It was another great event weekend to what has already been an intensely competitive season,” said Jim Liaw, president and co-founder of Formula DRIFT. “With the championship on the line and only 1 event remaining in the season we are excited to see who will come out on top.”
The competition was fierce and made for another exciting event with the drivers putting it all on the line before heading into the Finals. The Top 4 competition consisted of a battle between current champion Chris Forsberg in his NOS Energy Drink Nissan 350Z against 2-time Formula DRIFT champion Tanner Foust in his Rockstar Energy Scion TC for third place. Foust took the victory and maintained his third place status overall in the point standings. The final match-up pitted Vaughn Gittin Jr. in his Monster Energy / Falken Tire Ford Mustang against Ryan Tuerck in the Mobil 1 / Maxxis Pontiac Solstice. Gittin edged out Tuerck for his second victory of the season increasing his lead overall in the championship standings with only 1 event remaining in the season.
“Are you serious? Is this really happening,” stated Vaughn Gittin, Jr., winner of Round 6: Point of Impact. “My team is amazing and I’m simply beside myself for what we did on the track!”
With only 1 event remaining in the 2010 Formula DRIFT season the action heats up and a champion will be crowned at Round 7: Title Fight. Tickets are now on-sale online starting at $26. All seating is reserved with both main event day and 2-day ticket packages available. A limited amount of VIP tickets are also available for purchase online. Tickets are expected to sell-out, and it is advised to purchase tickets online early to guarantee your spot to witness the crowning of a new Formula DRIFT champion. For more information and details visit the Formula DRIFT website at: www.formuladrift.com
Check out these 2 videos that give great insight on two of the top Formula DRIFT drivers with veteran drifter Daijiro Yoshihara stepping into his 5th drift car and back into the driver’s season of a Nissan S13, after his crash of the Lexus at the last event and Round 6: Locked and Loaded winner Stephan Verdier on his first ever drifting victory.
For Immediate Release
August 22, 2009
Formula DRIFT Round 6: Locked and Loaded Results;
Stephan Verdier Takes His First Victory and the Championship Comes Down to the Finals
Long Beach, Calif. – August 22, 2009 – Formula DRIFT returned to Infineon Raceway for Round 6: Locked and Loaded joining the Indy Grand Prix of Sonoma weekend. Stephan Verdier in the Cooper Tires / Crawford Performance Subaru STI takes his first victory in Formula DRIFT competition.
“This is a dream come true,” said Stephan Verdier, winner of Round 6: Locked and Loaded. “My first victory after 3 years of competition and it is also the first victory for a Subaru and for Cooper Tires. Today I’m number 1 and it’s a great feeling.”
Round 6: Locked and Loaded was the first event in Formula DRIFT history to share the same weekend with IndyCar for the Indy Grand Prix of Sonoma. Fans were treated to both drifting and open wheel racing action for an exciting combination of motorsports that kept everyone entertained.
Current Formula DRIFT champion Tanner Foust in the Rockstar Energy Drink / Hankook Scion Racing TC battled against Hankook teammate Ryuji Miki in the APEXi / Hankook Mazda RX-7 for third place and after 2 hard fought One More Time battles Miki finds the podium once again. The final round had Ken Gushi in the RS*R / Scion Racing TC and Stephan Verdier battle for the top spot. On the first run of the final battle, Ken Gushi ended his run with a blown motor forcing him to take a bow and give Verdier the victory.
“This event proved that drifting can co-exist with other motorsports and provide quality entertainment for all fans and we are very proud to be a part of the Indy Grand Prix of Sonoma weekend,” said Ryan Sage, vice president of marketing and co-founder of Formula DRIFT. “With only 1 event remaining in the season it will come down to the wire and we will be crowning a new champion.”
Formula DRIFT returns to the “House of Drift” at Toyota Speedway at Irwindale on October 15-16 for Round 7: Judgment Day for the season finale. Reserved tickets are available now via the Formula DRIFT website at: www.formuladrift.com
Formula DRIFT Professional Championship 2009 Point Standings
1. Forsberg, Chris NOS Energy Drink / Maxxis Nissan 350Z 470 Points
2. Tuerck, Ryan Gardella Racing / Mobil 1Pontiac Solstice 414 Points
3. Gittin, Vaughn Falken Tire Ford Racing Mustang GT 401.50 Points
4. Hubinette, Samuel NuFormz Dodge Viper 399.25 Points
5. McQuarrie, Tyler Falken Nissan 350Z 396 Points
6. Foust, Tanner Rockstar / Hankook Scion Racing tC 373 Points
7. McNamara, Darren Falken / Sears Auto Center Saturn Sky 370.50 Points
8. Verdier, Stephan Cooper Tire / Crawford Performance Subaru STI 364 Points
9. Nishida, Robbie Hankook Tires / Dynamic Autosports Nissan 350Z 362.25 Points
10. Pawlak, Justin Bergenholtz Racing / Nitto Mazda RX-8 354 Points
11. Miki, Ryuji APEXi / Hankook Mazda RX-7 341.75 Points
12. Gushi, Ken RS*R Scion Racing TC 333.50 Points
13. Brakohiapa, Tony Cooper Tire Ford Mustang 331 Points
14. Petty, Ross Garage Boso / Falken Nissan S15 329 Points
15. Aono, Taka Technosquare Toyota AE86 Corolla 321.25 Points
16. Mordaunt, Patrick PM Racing Nissan S13 317.25 Points
Round 6: Locked and Loaded Event Results
1. Verdier, Stephan Cooper Tire / Crawford Performance Subaru STI Winner
2. Gushi, Ken RS*R Scion Racing TC 2nd Place
3. Miki, Ryuji APEXi / Hankook Mazda RX-7 3rd Place
Tires.com Triple Crown Bonus Point Standings after 2 of 3 events
1. Forsberg, Chris NOS Energy Drink / Maxxis Nissan 350Z 205 Points
2. McNamara, Darren Falken / Sears Auto Center Saturn Sky 150 Points
3. Tuerck, Ryan Gardella Racing / Mobil 1 Pontiac Solstice 149 Points
Here are some shots from today’s Round 6: Locked and Loaded championship at Infineon Raceway.
More photos after the jump
Continue reading Round 6: Locked and Loaded Teaser Pics